Beading Tutorial

I made a quick video last night on how to use a bead spinner to add beads to your yarn. I hope you find it useful!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Beading Tutorial

1. phobbs1 says:

I am SOOOOO going out to find a bead spinner before I need any more beads on my shipwreck! I just couldn’t imagine that it would make that big a difference…thanks for enlightening me.

You asked for ideas of other tutorials, how about how you get your stripey socks so matchy? I know it is a simple process, but not everyone has your skills!

2. madonnaearth says:

Nice tute; thanks!

3. Debbie R. says:

I’m knitting my first pre strung bead project and it took me about 20 minutes to string the 550 beads one at a time. I need to get a beadspinner now. Thanks for the tutorial.

4. Eloise says:

Great tutorial! Maybe now I will use my bead spinner.

5. arthella says:

great tutorial!
    i have yet to knit with lace weight yarn let alone beads.
    of course i want to now.
    can you do a tutorial on knitting with beads?

6. Lppurl says:

Thank you SO much for doing this! I was literally thinking about e-mailing you on the way to work today to ask about the bead spinner. I’ve been avoiding projects where I need to string beads (having only added them with a crochet hook). I can’t wait to try this! You guys rock!

7. Karen says:

Excellent tutorial! I have knit once with beads and after stringing 300+ beads one by one by hand I said never again. BUT after seeing this I think I would do it again. Thanks for showing me the easy way:)
    Suggestions for another tutorial: spinning both on a wheel and a spindle. Knitting with beads.

8. Sadie says:

Oh wow do I want a bead spinner now :O

9. Awesome tutorial! I had never knit with beads because I really didn’t know how to go about it but I’m starting a project that will have me specifically crocheting them on. My next beaded knitting project will certainly involve a bead spinner. Yours is beautiful. I tried to use my Google-fu and find a nice hand crafted wooden one but am not having any luck. And BTW, you don’t need makeup!

10. Kathy says:

Great tutorial! Thanks so much. I had never seen that before – didn’t even know that a “bead spinner” existed. Now of course, I want one! LOL.

k

11. Bets says:

Wonderful! Thanks Leslie 🙂

12. Sandylynn says:

Thank you SO much. You make it look so easy. I’ll put a bead spinner on my shopping list for sure.
    Love, love, LOVE your podcast..you and Laura are the greatest..just like sitting down with the girlfriends…so much fun.!

13. Tina Harris says:

Thank you for the podcast, my first shipwreck didn’t have any beads because I thought it would be way crazy trying to get them on my yarn, I plan to make it again but have a bead spinner:) Great Tutorial!!

I would like to see you show how to do an after thought heal. I love, love, love self stripping yarn, and would like to have my socks done with the after thought heal. Also anything to do with spinning….or over dyeing.

I used to live in your beautiful state, until May of this year. My husband was stationed at Camp Shelby for almost 2 years, there next to Hattiesburg. If I knew about you and Laura then, I would have made a road trip:) I am now living in New York, but it is great seeing y’alls podcast. Rhinebeck was awesome this year, I heard Carin from Round the Twist is thinking of going next year……………..something to think about?

Thanks for the podcasts, I love watching them:)

14. candisrrt says:

I was so excited to see this this am! I have been thinking about getting a bead spinner. Can’t wait to watch this(at work right now) Fun stuff!

15. Beverly says:

Thank you. I have beads, yarn and the pattern and was at a loss of how to string the beads easily. Great idea for technique videos.

16. Helena says:

this is perfect timing for me. im about to head to a craft fair to buy a bead spinner.

17. Eileen says:

Fabulous tutorial. Makes me want to get a bead spinner and knit something beaded. I truly had no idea that the bead spinners worked so well. Thanks!!!

18. Zabelle says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial. Can you talk about your wheels and what made you choose them? I’m saving for my first and don’t know witch one to get. Maybe a Ladybug.
    Keep doing it, I listen to every podcast a couple of time and your my replacement for lime and violet with less boobs! I really mist them but you are a good replacement.
    Bonne Journée

19. Sally says:

Awesome tutorial! I had never even heard of a bead spinner. It’s so cool how they “know” to jump on the needle. I’ve prestrung beads to crochet on a girl’s sock cuff but I have never knitted with them. I would love to see the next step after this one–knitting the beads onto the shawl. Love your blogcastst!

20. linda says:

I really enjoyed watching this tutorial. Thanks for doing it! I have heard of a bead spinner but I had never seen one. I couldn’t imagine how that worked. Linda in Colorado

21. Sherri A. says:

Thanks for this great tutorial. I love gadgets and have had my spinner for quite some time. I’ve never tried it but after seeing your tutorial I’ve got to try it. I think I should do it without my cat being in the room, that could be a real mess. lol

22. Becky says:

Damn girl! That’s awesome! I will be googling to find myself a bead spinner. All the beaded knitting I have done, and I never knew this was out there just waiting for me. Thanks for sharing!

23. SpaceJunk says:

That is so amazing to me! I have always wondered how those things work so it was awesome to see it in action. Thanks 🙂

24. Carrie says:

Leslie – thank you so much for the tutorial – that was very helpful. I always wondered how to get the beads on the yarn – now I know thanks to you!

25. Holly says:

Leslie,
    That was so great! I really want to knit something with beads. Would you please take us through the next step. I need a visual. Thanks!
    I would like to get into spinning but have no idea how to choose a wheel. What kind of spinning wheel do you have and why did you choose that particular one.

26. Robin says:

Thanks Leslie for the tutorial. I have been wanting to make the Shipwreck since I saw the ones that you and Carin made. I may have to invest in the bead spinner.

27. Pingback: The 700 Club | The Knitting Patch

28. Suzanne says:

I have always wondered how a bead spinner works and now I know! That thing is awesome! I want to know who the hell comes up with these things. It is amazing how those beads jump right on the needle!! Nice diamond BTW. 🙂

29. Pingback: Stringchronicity Episode 17: Knits for Men | Stringchronicity

30. KateJonze says:

That is so cool!!! Now, if I just knew what to do with them after they’re strung! 😎

31. Lois says:

Totally awesome! I am getting prepared to knit the shipwreck after seeing yours. And oh this is so helpful. I was trying to do a little beading, to see how it would work and yuck!!! I thought about a shipwreck without beads, but not the same. Now I’m determined I’m gonna do it. Thank you soooooo much.

32. OMG!!! Thank you! I never knew a “bead spinner” existed and after just stringing my first beaded shawl and beaded glove projects by hand with a dental floss threader…. I am eternally grateful for your tutorial 🙂
    I happened upon your podcasts and look forward to watching all your episodes. Unfortunately I am also an obsessed knitter and have no close buddies who knit so its nice to see friends enjoying somehting they love, together!

33. Veronica says:

OMG…. Thank you Leslie!! I have always wanted to put beads on a project but I didn’t want to put the beads on one at a time. I am so going to get one of these bead spinners and needles and start working with beads. This video was AWESOME! Thank you. ~V